As you know, I was running a giveaway over at my Instagram account last week and today is the announcement of the winner. So, while working on the draw of the lucky winner, I was inspired to put a congratulations card together for today as I realized I haven’t done any congratulatory cards.
So, here is something I made using Mama Elephant Surprise Sentiments and since I have been smitten by gold lately, I decided to pair off gold embossing with blue background.
This is really a simple card to make but requires a little bit of technique in watercolor and careful embossing.
- Mask the four sides of a 3 ¾ X 3 ¾ inch Fabriano water color paper with Washi tape, leaving a uniform border (approximately ¼ inch border).
- Wet the paper thoroughly.
- Transfer distress markers colors of Tumbled Glass, Broken China and Salty Ocean onto acrylic block and use wet paint brush to pick up these shades and dab over the wet paper, letting the color spread naturally.
- Heat set to dry up the water color. Ensure it’s dry before the next step.
- Stamp sentiment using watermark ink pad.
- Cover with gold embossing powder, tapping off excess and melt it with heat tool.
- Ink four sides of the water color paper with watermark ink and cover with gold embossing powder, tapping off excess. Heat set it to get gold embossed sides.
- Using score board, score a line in the middle of the white border of water color paper. This adds dimension subtly and makes it really elegant.
- Fasten the tag over to card base using foam tape.
I particularly like the step 7 and 8 technique. It gives a very nice dimension and brings out the image in the center without having to add another layer of card stock or pattern paper for layering.
I hope you like this design.
Supplies and Tools
- Mama Elephant Surprise Sentiments Clear Stamp
- Distress Markers Salty Ocean, Tumbled Glass and Broken China
- 140lbs Fabriano Water Color Paper
- Versamark Watermark Ink Pad
- Hero Arts Gold Embossing Powder
- Scorepal for scoring the sides
- Foam Tape
- Heat tool