Today, I am going to share a simple technique that I enjoy using craft dies for creative play.
I like to highlight a specific image on the card by giving more emphasis to the main subject while the rest is just literally…the background. And that is where my craft dies come into play to create a deboss outline for the image or to create a pop up effect for the image (two different methods).
So, here is my creation for the day, specially made for my son as he has a teddy bear that has been with him since birth and he is still so very much attached to it (his best buddy).
For this card, I have used my die cut machine to create the deboss outline. I will outline another method below, which is also shown on my Instagram.
Step by step instructions
- Stamp the bigger bear image in the middle of the card with Memento Rich Cocoa Ink on a white card base.
- Die cut the bear using a post-it and this will be the mask for the stamped image.
- Stamp the smaller bear image row by row using AMM Paper Stain - Caramel.
- Color the big bear with Copic Sketch Markers.
- Lay the die over the colored image and using the die as a debossing tool. It will demoss a fine line around the bear, giving it an illusion that the bear pops out a little.
- Stamp a red heart with Versacolor - Camellia.
Tip : During the “de-boss” process using the die cut machine, at times, the die outline will create a marking on the paper as well, making it like double outline as in the first picture below.
To remove that, simply use your bone folder, turn to the back of the image and flatten it. It will remove most of the unwanted markings.
Here are the two photos to show the difference after I used the bone folder to flatten out the paper. The first picture shoes a feint outline of the die (as if there are double deboss lines), after correcting it with a bone folder, the second picture shows only the deboss outline for the bear.
If you do not want the deboss outline of the stamped image, place the die over the image and use your bone folder and do dry embossing, you will get a nice pop up effect. Here is what I posted on Instagram to show the steps.
I hope you like this technique and give it a try. Adding a deboss outline gives a good definition and brings out main image on the card.
You may try out the dry embossing technique as suggested above. The pop up effect is fabulous!
I am using the Evolution Advanced Die Cut Machine and to do the deboss technique, lay the card over the die, layer with the embossing mat and lastly the cutting mat. I adjust the dial to 4 for this. This is what I like about Evolution Advanced due to it’s flexibility in adjusting the height of the roller for different dies and different techniques.
Supplies and Tools
- Mama Elephant Carnival Cupcake Clear Stamp set and Coordinating Dies
- Mama Elephant Love From Above Clear Stamp set for the heart image
- Memento Rich Cocoa Ink Pad
- Versacolor Pigment Ink - Camellia
- AMM Paper Stain Pad - Caramel
- Copic Sketch Markers
- Post-it Tag for masking
- Evolution Advanced