Finally, I am back at another challenge with CASology and the cue for the week is “Story”.
I really wanted to make a card under this cue as I am intending to give a Congratulations card to someone who is getting married. I wanted a color theme to be bold and since it is going to be individually designed and handmade, I really wanted it to be different.
For this card, I have used Tim Holtz Distress Marker Spritzer which I think it is a wonderful tool.
Although it was launched last year or maybe the year before, I still find it a very versatile tool to as as it is compatible with various brands of markers and makes wonderful air brush effect for background, design and excellent to use with stencils.
And today, I am also going to share a simple step to be used to create a translucent, almost like vellum effect and it is important to note that I find this technique to very suitable on a hot pressed water color paper (see my previous post on the comparison of cold and hot pressed water color paper).
So, are you ready for the step by step instructions? Here goes,
Step by Step Instructions
- On a hot pressed water color paper, spritz the following Distress Markers - Ripe Persimmon, Peacock Feathers, Picket Fence, Dusty Concord and Seedless Preserves, on the lower half of the paper, adding more of the darker color tone and more spritz at the area to be transformed to a stripe across in step 3.
- Using masking paper to mask the top and and bottom of the spritz area, leaving the area to be transformed to a stripe.
- Using a small container, add water and some Ranger Perfect Pearls - Perfect Pearl. With a medium paint brush, pick up the water mixture and paint over the unmasked area to transform to a shimmer, shiny stripe. With hot pressed water color paper, you will still see very clear spritz of the different color. It may spread a little but it looks almost like a vellum covering over the spritz and you get a blurry effect instead of a blended effect.
- Stamp sentiment “Congrats” and “It’s a New Beginning” using Versa Color Violet Pigment Ink.
- Add sequins using Ranger Glossy Accent to adhere.
- Adhere water color paper to card base using foam tape
Here is another picture to show the subtle shimmer from the Ranger Perfect Pearls effect. If you prefer to add more shimmer, you may just add more Wink of Stella - Clear over the stripe.
I hope you like this card design as well as a simple technique to create a single layer vellum effect.
The spritzer is a great tool to have. Do check it out here,
Here are the complete list of supplies used for this project.
Supplies and Tools